Xiaomi India finally responds to criticism for its ‘high’ Redmi K20 price

Issuing an open letter, Xiaomi India Managing Director Manju Jain has tried to explain the reason for the unexpectedly high price of K20 to its Mi fans

The much-awaited Redmi K20 and K20 Pro have been launched in India two days ago (read here). The latest Specs, features, and aggressive price of the Redmi K20 Pro has made it the biggest Flagship-killer of 2019.

The K20 Pro starts at Rs 26,999. It was compared to the likes of OnePlus 7 Pro and even iPhone X, which are priced much higher. They are also believed to have fairly similar specs.

However, the lower model of the K series was expected to compete with the likes of Realme X which starts at Rs 16,999. The K20, however, starts at Rs 21,999, leaving the fans highly disappointed.

To stop its fans from leaning towards rival brands Xiaomi India MD Manju Jain has issued an open letter. Directed towards its disappointed fans, Jain tries to assure that every penny extra for the K20 is worth it.

In the statement, Jain says that the K20 features the Snapdragon 730, the first on any commercially available phone. The new chip is also said to be 40% faster than the 710, and thus costs more.

Explaining further, he says that nearly 65% of the value of the smartphone being locally sourced. The remaining 35% has to be imported leading to higher taxes for complicated components.

Also, cheaper materials like plastic could have been used to compromise on quality and reduce the price. But they chose not to do it.

Now though this might be a justified and satisfactory explanation for the phone’s price, those with an under 20k budget might still be disappointed.

Facebook Comments